As we age, gravity and time take its toll on our body. Hormone decline also occurs as a result of the aging process, but it isn’t limited to just women. Men can experience symptoms and changes due to testosterone levels declining. Testosterone is responsible for forming a deeper voice, body and facial hair and the testes. Testosterone can begin to decline at a rate of 1 percent each year starting at the age of 30. The symptoms associated with the decline in testosterone is called Andropause and they can be eased with a testosterone replacement therapy called bio-identical hormone replacement therapy for men, delivered by an andropause specialist.
What is Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy is basically a therapy that replaces hormones, such as testosterone, with hormones that are identical on a molecular level. In this way, hormone levels can come back to a normal range and symptoms can be alleviated. Andropause is the period in a man’s life when the levels of the male hormone, testosterone, drop. This normally occurs around the ages of 45 and 55 and is a slow, steady reduction in testosterone levels. Symptoms associated with Andropause include weight gain, fatigue, and energy loss, loss of sex drive, erectile dysfunction, mood swings, reduced physical strength and agility, thinning hair, mental fogginess, and atrophy. With bio-identical hormone replacement therapy, these symptoms can be greatly reduced and the quality of life can be significantly increased.
Benefits of Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men
Men’s overall health and wellness can be greatly improved with this therapy. Many benefits can be seen when men undergo bio-identical hormone replacement therapy, including:
- Thicker hair: Thinning hair can be the result of low levels of testosterone. When testosterone levels drop, another hormone called dihydrotestosterone can cause hair follicles to die away. By replacing testosterone and bringing the hormone level to a normal condition, hair follicles can be preserved and thicker hair can be achieved.
- Reduced body fat: Body fat can increase estrogen and decrease testosterone levels, which in turn reduces the amount of active testosterone in the blood. By balancing the testosterone levels, body fat can be reduced.
- Increased metabolism: As men age, they often notice their metabolism slows down. This can result in increased abdominal fat, higher blood pressure, and cholesterol. When the testosterone hormones are balanced, the metabolism can increase and reduce the symptoms of metabolic syndrome.
- Improved sexual function: Testosterone controls sexual function and reproduction. When the testosterone levels decrease, men can experience low libido and erectile dysfunction. When these hormone levels are brought back to a normal range, libido can be improved and the chance of erectile dysfunction can be reduced.
- Increased muscle: When testosterone levels drop, muscle mass can also decrease. Testosterone has a direct relationship with building muscle. When testosterone levels are balanced, men can begin to build muscle again.
Beginning Your Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy
At Angel Longevity, we understand how an imbalance of hormones can create uncomfortable symptoms and decrease one’s quality of life. We want our patients to receive the best care, which is why we only offer the latest therapies in Functional Medicine to help our patients feel more energetic and youthful. Our staff is experienced in helping people face a wide variety of health concerns. If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms and want to alleviate the symptoms of andropause, call our Los Angeles office to set up a free consultation where you will have the opportunity to discuss your goals and go over any questions you may have with a low testosterone specialist.