Hot flashes, moodiness, depression, fatigue, and night sweats are only some of the irritating symptoms of menopause. Most women lose their hormones naturally around the ages of 40 to 50. There are other factors such as stress, lack of exercise, smoking, poor sleeping habits and excessive alcohol use that can also cause your hormones to decline. The good news is that there are ways to improve the symptoms of menopause with bio-identical hormones.
Every woman at some point will experience menopause. It occurs when the menstrual cycle stops, which indicates the end of a woman’s childbearing years. Menopause is a natural occurrence and usually happens gradually as a result of hormonal shifts due to ovaries not producing estrogen and progesterone. As a woman begins menopause, the hormone production fluctuates and can cause several symptoms to occur. Some of these symptoms are:
Increased skin wrinkling
Doesn’t sound too fun, does it? Fortunately, you can improve these symptoms with bio-identical hormone replacement therapy.
What is Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) is a therapy that uses hormones that are identical on a molecular level and balances your hormones, making symptoms for menopause much less. Some of the benefits of bio-identical hormones may include:
- Stronger bones – estrogen allows the bones to absorb important nutrients that keep them strong. When estrogen declines, the bones can become weak and brittle. BHRT can replace the estrogen and return strength back to your bones.
- Weight loss – when progesterone is deficient, women may retain water and feel bloated. A decrease in estrogen can make the body hold onto fat. Re-establishing the balance of estrogen and progesterone can result in weight loss.
- Healthier moods – when the sex hormones, progesterone, and estrogen, get out of balance, your mood can be affected. Sex hormones promote neurotransmitters that signal calmness and contentment to the brain. When these hormones become balanced, an improved mood and well-being can be achieved.
- Regulated body temperature – hormones are responsible for signaling the hypothalamus, the body’s temperature control center, to regulate the body temperature. When these hormones decline, the body’s temperature may fluctuate, which can produce hot flashes and night sweats. When these hormones are back in balance, the body’s temperature can be more regular.
- Improved sleep – when hormones are out of whack, the hypothalamus also cannot regulate the body’s cycle. By using BHRT, the hypothalamus can be helped and can set the sleep cycles again, allowing you to have a better sleep.
- Youthful appearance – when estrogen levels drop, a woman’s femininity and youthful appearance can also decline. Here’s how it works: estrogen allows the skin to form collagen, which keeps the skin elastic, hair and nails lustrous and the breasts full. When estrogen declines, wrinkles, sagging breasts, and dull hair and nails could occur. By restoring estrogen levels, you could see a more youthful appearance.
- Improved sexual function – when a woman experiences a hormonal decline, they may also experience low libido and inability to climax. BHRT can help gain back that desire and enjoy sexual activity again.
While hormonal decline and menopause are natural occurrences, there is something that can be done to alleviate your menopause symptoms. Hormone therapy is a great option to return balance to your hormones and regain some of the best parts of your body that you had prior to menopause. Whether you only experience a couple of menopause symptoms or you experience almost every single one, bio-identical hormone replace therapy can help and provide overall health and well-being.