Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) is a fantastic option for men and women who are experiencing a difference or loss in hormones. BHRT has different benefits for both genders but can make you feel healthier and change your life, no matter what your gender is.
What BHRT Can Do for Women
Most women will naturally start to lose their hormones as early as the late 20’s and early 30’s and these hormones will continue to decline until the onset of Menopause around the age of 52, which is right when you will start to experience those annoying hot flashes and horrible night sweats. Other factors, such as stress, lack of nutrition, lack of sleep, lack of exercise, smoking and excessive alcohol intake can also cause hormones to decline even at a young age. Women may also experience premature menopause induced by surgical removal of their ovaries.
All of these factors can make menopause dreadful and life harder, but bio-identical hormone replacement therapy can benefit women going through hormone decline at any age. Some of the benefits for women may include:
• Healthier moods occur when sex hormones such as progesterone and estrogen become balanced. When hormones decline, women can experience an increase in anxiety, irritability, depression, and anger. By regaining balance, you can improve your emotional health.
• Stronger bones can also occur from having balanced hormones. When estrogen declines, the bones may become less able to absorb enough calcium, which can cause bones to become brittle and porous.
• Weight loss can also be a result of balancing hormones. Progesterone is a natural diuretic, and when there is not enough of it, women may feel bloated and retain water. Additionally, an estrogen deficiency can cause the body to hold onto body fat.
What BHRT Can Do for Men
Men can suffer from hormonal imbalances just as women do. Testosterone levels steadily decline once men hit 30 and then dramatically drop in their 40’s and 50’s. This is also known as Andropause or male menopause, as the aging process and symptoms are similar to those women experience during menopause.
Andropause is the time in a man’s life when a drop in the levels of the male hormone, testosterone, occurs. Due to this, life can become more difficult, there may be weight gain, energy loss, loss of sex drive, mood swings, mental fogginess, muscle atrophy, and erectile dysfunction. BHRT can help men recover from the effects of hormone decline. Some of the benefits may include:
• Increased muscle mass can be caused by balanced testosterone levels. This is because testosterone has a direct effect on muscle building.
• Thicker hair could be the result of healthy levels of testosterone. When testosterone levels are lower, hair follicles can be caused to die away. Increasing free testosterone helps preserve hair follicles.
• Improved mental acuity occurs as hormones come into balance. Often decline in human growth hormone, testosterone, aldosterone or thyroid hormones in men cause declines in mental prowess.
While these are not all of the benefits of BHRT for men and women, it can give you an idea of how important having balanced hormone levels is for all aspects of your health. While there are not bio-identical hormone replacement side effects, there are certain risks for both men and women you should be aware of. If you are experiencing bad effects due to menopause or male menopause, find life to be more difficult and your overall health seems to be lower, contact a bio-identical hormone replacement doctor to discuss your options so you can feel more energetic and full of health.